Sunday 18 March 2018

Making my wedding dress: part four

My wedding dress will have a laced up corset and pleated skirt as the base. I chose some ivory satin from Truro fabrics after ordering lots of different samples through the post. I chose this particular fabric because it had the structure I was after and the colour together with the shine was like ice cream. Delicious 😋

 I made the corset up in three fabrics. The satin for the front, an interlining of cotton on to which I attached the boning and then a lining fabric.

 I then used some more lining fabric to make a petticoat. I didn't do this the full length that intended on making on making the outer skirt because I thought it'd get wrapped up in my legs once I took my hoop off!
 I next draped the satin around the bottom of the corset with my hoop beneath it so I knew it would fit around it. I tried to match the pleats up with the seam lines of the bodice. I then sewed the two layers of the skirt to the top two layers of the bodice. I left the bodice lining free so I could hand sew this down later and encase all the raw edges.



The next step for the corset will be the all important back. This is something I've not done before so I've been researching and planning it out in my hair before I attempt it....

No comments:

Post a Comment