Monday 1 January 2018

Making my wedding dress: Part one

Sew..... This happened!

Obviously my thoughts quickly turned to making a dress!!! I pretty much jumped straight in and starting drafting a bodice using my dress form.

 My original idea was a satin bodice which I'd then drape tulle over.


 I added some shoulder straps partly for stability but also to have something to anchor the tulle to. I had some mocha coloured satin which matching chiffon knocking about so decided to play around with draping. The way the bodice is connected below the bust requires gathering and I quickly realised this wasn't going to give the sleek under bodice I was after.


 It was back to the drawing board to adjust that bodice and take out the gathers!






I spent many frustrating hours trying different ways of draping the fabric. Having never done this before I really was winging it. I just couldn't get the tension right; the chiffon was either too taught and pulling on the bodice underneath or it was too slack and looking like a baggy mess. In hindsight, chiffon wasn't the best fabric for this style and I was planning of using tulle anyway, with it's sturdier structure I might have achieved what I had in mind... However I got frustrated and decided to start all over again with a different look. We'll, I haven't set a date yet so where's the hurry? 😂



No comments:

Post a Comment